Friday, July 15, 2011

The Refrigerator Debacle

Over three weeks ago now, our refrigerator stopped working.  The refrigerator part is at about 60°F, while the freezer is at about 35°F.  While constantly pushing my landlady to take care of it, and after a visit from her or a representative once every two days (also more or less tethering me to my apartment, rather than enjoying my vacation from work), this situation still has not been remedied.

We have had to throw out about $200 worth of food, and we have not been able to buy any frozen food from the grocery store, which makes preparing food less convenient than it should be.

Wednesday night, when I came home from work around 11:30 pm, this is what I saw in the hallway (this is the view from the entrance to my unit):

So, while not a NEW refrigerator, at least it's a replacement.  Just sitting in the hallway.  Notice the marked exit sign?  In case of fire, FAT CHANCE.  Today is now Friday, and this refrigerator is still in the hallway.  Why, you ask?


Good question.  Not that I can manage to swap these refrigerators by myself.  Also, not to mention that this is not my job.  When I called the landlady, she told me that, because the fridge had been stored sideways in a truck to move it, it had to stand upright for two days before it was plugged in.  I do not understand why this would be.

So, no frozen goods (even ice cubes) for almost a month.  Almost a month of keeping my beer, butter, milk, eggs in the freezer.  Oh well.  Maybe, by the time I get home today, we will have a functioning refrigerator.  Fingers crossed.