Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Google+ and Your Life

I have let many blogs lie fallow over the years.  I am honestly just typing this in order to create a blog post, and I haven't quite gotten a handle about what I'm going to talk about.

That being said, I've recently been shoved into the world of Google+, which has occupied a good deal of time for me.  I have been on vacation from work for the last more-than-two weeks, and I return to the grind this evening.  Finally.  As a full-time worker, I am accustomed to scheduling my life around work.  While it is nice to take some time off every once in a while, finding things to do with myself on a daily basis, with no goals or obligations, is like staring into an abyss.

I have walked a LOT.  I live in a very boring suburban downtown area in a town bordered almost exclusively by towns with decent downtown areas.  The problem with this, though, is that I do not drive, and travel ranges from 4 to 8 miles.  I live right next to a Metra station, which can take me into and out of Chicago at will, but I feel like that takes the fun out of it.

I decided that I should do more to be in shape, so I went for a jog, which lasted for maybe 100 yards...I forgot that my legs and lungs are not quite as they used to be.  So, I started walking.  I walked and walked for about two hours, until I had wandered into downtown Naperville, which was nice.  I was sick of walking, and the train station that could take me home was five minutes' walk away.  Perfect.

That has been a wonderful way to waste some time without spending money, and catching up on new music via my iPod.

Now that Google+ has come along, I feel like I can just sit around, update, tweak, and peek in on other peoples' lives in a more coherent way than social networking has allowed before.  Are you on Google+?  If so, add me to a circle.  I have started this (ugh) Blogger site in the hopes that, in the near future, these sites will get stitched together in such a way that I can update here, and my profile will reflect the changes made.  Here's hoping.

2 comments:

Jeremy Downs said...

Waiting for comments on your blog is just another thing to tether you to your computer. Keep walking.

Bob said...

You don't think I have a smart phone for a reason?